Saturday, August 18, 2007

Well, the first couple days at home have been a little tiring. We got home yesterday afternoon after the pediatrician gave Adam an A+ for his health, but his billirubin levels were a little elevated. Not high enough to keep him around, but high enough to get it checked until it starts to decrease. We went to the clinic this morning and they had increased a little more, but still not threatening so we'll have to have this checked again tomorrow. Adam had a pretty uneventful afternoon where he slept most of the time. The trouble started around midnight. He started getting fussy and downright inconsolable. We had a feeling he was hungry, but he wasn't having the patience to stick to it and get a good latch which was frustrating not only for him, but for the parents as well. He got one good feeding in around 3 and didn't eat until we were at the pediatric clinic this morning where he had a nice good meal to finally calm him down. He needs to continue to eat well to flush his system. Tad, however, has taken well to Adam. Upon first meeting, he just took a few sniffs and pretty much has left him alone. Even the screaming crying didn't seem to phase him!!! Sorry, no pictures tonight as Mommy and Daddy need to get some sleep and hope for a better second night at home.

1 comment:

DandeLion Soup said...

Hi Robin,

I've been thinking about you since I last visited in the hospital. After reading your blog, it reminded me of the first few days with Raleigh. I had such a hard time feeding him. There were times when He would be crying and I would hand-express little bits of colostrum or milk into his mouth. It seemed so hard to get him to calm down enough to eat. Swaddling him helped a bit. I think it made him feel like he was still inside me.
Before I purchased my pump, I would also hand express some milk into a bottle when I needed to sleep and Josh would stay up with Raleigh and feed him the bottle when he was hungry. Some people don't recommend this thought because of the potential for nipple confusion.
Sorry for the long comment, but after reading your blog, I decided this was better than calling you at 12:35 am to see how things were going. I hope tonight goes better for you all. Try to nap when he naps during the day. Sleep is way more important than cleaning house or any other chores. Call me tomorrow if you want, I'll be home all day.